Mobile Clinic, Day 2

Sunday, June 29, 2008

We went to Ms. Prudence's church this morning. Her husband is the pastor there, and this is the church where we did our mobile clinic yesterday. During the service Gavin introduced us to the congregation, and each of us said something briefly. I said something in Creole, and I almost choked up, but I hope I said what I meant to say.

Just as we got out of church, there was a crowd of people gathered around something on the ground. It turned out to be a 14-year old girl who had been carried in on a stretcher from a village far away. She had a big laceration behind her left thigh. Some old man hit her with a machete on Tuesday, so she had an open wound for the last 5 days. Since it's been too long since the injury, we couldn't suture it. Instead we cleaned the wound, bandaged it, and brought her down with us. She'll be treated at our clinic everyday.

I'm in awe of how people here can just carry heavy loads on their head and trek over a mountain barefoot. Many of them were so willing to help out as well. On the way back, it started to rain a bit, and then it poured when we got on the truck. It reminded me of the time when I went to Zanmi Lasante, and rode through the pouring rain on a open-back tap-tap for over 2 hours. It felt good to be in the rain.

We got back around mid-afternoon, and I took a nice hot shower. Oh, I never mentioned, but we have hot shower here. It's amazing. After dinner we finished watching Enchanted at Laura's place. I think we all have the song "How does she know that you love her" stuck in our heads.

No comments: